East Village – 2012 Olympic Village
The London 2012 Athletes Village, a lasting legacy of the 2012 Olympic games – transformed into East Village with 2,818 new homes, an academy campus for 1800 students, extensive transports links, a healthcare centre, cafés and bars, 27 acres of parkland and 30 shops right on the doorstep of Westfield Stratford City.
Our first role at the Athletes Village was to perform Housing Quality Indicator (HQI) assessments on completed buildings on behalf of Lend Lease.
These assessments consisted of:
- Assessing the ‘unit layout’ indicator of the QI form
- Setting the standard for the assessment following extensive discussions with stakeholders
- Clarifying needs and importance of the QI assessment to the Lend Lease project managers and the various architects
- Proposing improvements where units failed to achieve the minimum score required
- Re-assessing units after drawings had been amended
We were then commissioned as Independent Certifier doing as follows:
- Liaising with all plot contractors, employers agents, client project managers and Lend Lease team
- Compliance and performance monitoring against specified drawings, building regulations, specifications requirements
- Highlighting perceived risks on any movements in programme and potential additional costs
- Reviewing contractors snagging lists and certify satisfactory completion of any snag items
- Reviewing mechanical and electrical testing, commissioning to verify compliance with agreed design
- Reviewing management service provider’s validation of key mechanical, electrical, public health and lift installations
- Certifying that the buildings have been constructed in accordance with the set criteria and all planning and agreement for lease conditions have been discharged
Our role post games included all these services along with more extensive site inspection during fit-out works, snagging and defects management along with full handover procedures for what is now called East Village.